Life As A Movie takes professional surfer, Benji Weatherley, and has him travel around the world to experience all of the board sports (skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding) at the best locations with the best riders in their respective disciplines.
The premise itself makes you contemplate the crossover effects of the three major board sports. Even with the rise of two-sport star Shaun White and the existence of the Ultimate Boarder competition, it makes you wonder if the world’s most famous skateboarder, Tony Hawk, would be a good surfer? Or if the greatest competitive surfer of all time, Kelly Slater, would be a good snowboarder? Is standing sideways on a board the same across concrete, water and snow? Life As A Movie offers some ideas.
Life As A Movie is broken down into three dream trips.
- A surf trip to Kandui Surf Resort in the Mentawai Islands in Indonesia. Benji is joined by professional skateboarder Tosh Townend, snowboarder JP Walker and surfers Yadin Nicol, Tom Carroll, Kalani Robb, Rizal Tanjung and Ross Williams.
- A snowboard trip to Whistler with snowboarder Dave Downing, Mr. Burton himself, Jake Burton and surfers Shane Dorian and Kelly Slater.
- A surf, skate and snowboard trip to Japan. The crew for the Japanese session includes skateboarders Tony Hawk, Tosh Townend and Chad Bartie, snowboarders Todd Richards and JP Walker and Kalani Robb. They roll through Koga Skatepark, Big Air Snowboard Park and the Seagaia Ocean Dome
While the action in Life As A Movie skews heavily towards surfing, it does offer some good skateboarding and snowboarding action. Highlights of Life As A Movie include:
- The Indonesian crew collecting epic waves at Kandui. Yadin Nicol scores the wave of the movie.
- The surfing segment at the Seagaia Ocean Dome in Miyazaki, Japan. The Ocean Dome is the world’s largest indoor waterpark and it offers a head-high left, right and bowling middle peak. The Ocean Dome is a surfing miracle.
- A bonus surfing segment on Jack Johnson and his brothers (Pete and Trent) surfing in Indonesia. While there are still a few videos to review, this appears to be the best footage of Jack Johnson surfing.
- A bonus surfing segment of Tom Carroll. Even at age 45, the guy still smooth and powerful.
Life As A Movie Trailer