As Earth Day recently passed, the Surfrider Foundation recently issued five simple steps that we could all take to protect our oceans:
- Conserve energy to help slow climate change. Global warming will dramatically affect our coastlines.
- Avoid using single use plastics. They often end up on our beaches and harm sea life. Instead, use refillable and reusable bottles and containers.
- Plant an ocean friendly garden. Native plants use less water, reduce runoff and help keep our beaches clean.
- Don’t hose down your driveways. It wastes water and causes oils and other pollutants to end up in the ocean. Use a broom and dustpan instead.
- Buy a Surfrider Foundation membership. The Surfrider Foundation is dedicated to protecting the oceans, waves and beaches. It’s never been a better time to be part of the wave of change.