Deep Magazine, the free Central California coast surfing and adventure aquatic magazine, celebrates their first anniversary with another informative issue. While I have a small gripe with Deep Magazine claiming the ‘Central Coast’ of California while in reality they cover Ventura County (Southern California), Santa Barbara County (Southern California) and San Luis Obispo County (Central California)(check the map). Imagine a surfer from Ventura claiming Central California to a surfer from Santa Cruz. No way! Nonetheless, all grievances are forgot when you offer the surf community a free monthly magazine.
Josh Mulcoy scores the cover with a frosty Icelandic slash. This month’s edition offers the following stories:
- Tyler Anderson and Noi Kaulukukui placing first and second, respectively, in the first stop of the One Way Boardshop surf series in Pismo Beach.
- Respected surf photographer, surf journalist and former surfboard shaper, David Pu’u, writes about the end of the surfboard craftsmen era as the world transitions to the mass produced surfboard.
- A Central Coast surfboard buying guide.
- Spearfishing on the Central Coast.
- A surf trip to Iceland with Timmy Turner, Josh Mulcoy and Sam Hammer. The boys explore Reykjavik, volcanoes and icy slabs.
You can find Deep Magazine all over Santa Barbara, Ventura and San Luis Obispo or check them out online.